Envy and Mouse Fire head the list of new releases this week.
- The Brother Kite “Moonlight Race” (Claire) – New odds-n-ends EP from great shoegazing pop band.
- By the End of Tonight/Tera Melos “Complex Full Of Phantoms” (Temporary Residence) – Split from two like-minded frantic and spastic bands.
- Envy “Abyssal” (Sonzai) – New EP from Japanese Post-Rock/Hardcore band. Amazing.
- Grizzly Bear “Friend” (Warp) – EP of new, reworked, and re-recorded material (including covers and collaborations). An interesting/eclectic collection from this critically acclaimed (not on SAL) group.
- Minipop “A New Hope” (Take Root) – Surprisingly good female fronted indie/pop band that reminds me of The Cardigans at times.
- Mouse Fire “Wooden Teeth” (Lujo) – Cool new band on the great Lujo Records. Very Minus The Bear-esque.
- Sigur Ros “Hvarf/Heim” (XL) – Unreleased/acoustic 2-disc set from Icelandic group.
- Jim Ward “Quiet” (Civil Defense League) – Solo debut from Sparta frontman and former At The Drive-In guitarist.
- Zookeeper “Becoming All Things” (Belle City Pop) – New project from Chris Simpson of Mineral/The Gloria Record. I loved the first EP. I am relatively disappointed in this album so far…but I think it will grow on me.